ABC WOW Annual Conference Speaker – Lucretia Williams
Today, we hear from Lucretia Williams, Distinctive Event Planning.
1. What are 2 key words (phrases) to describe what attendees will take away from attending your Keynote Presentation?
- They will learn how solid vendor relationships allow us to bring the best customer experience for our clients which enhances our company brand and increases visibility.
- They will learn how quality vendor relationships allow us to collaborate on those big crazy ideas we have but could never execute on our own.
2. What would you say was the most important lesson (good or bad) that has impacted the way you evolved your business at these different stages:
In the beginning of my business, I sought out an experienced planner to mentor me. It was important for me to learn how to be a successful planner from a successful planner. Mentorship has many benefits. I learned how to build my foundation while avoiding some costly pitfalls. This is when I was able to determine who my ideal client is and how to attract them. Previously, I’d book anyone who wanted to hire me and that came with many challenges. Once I was able to learn how attract them I was able to really enjoy my career as a planner.
In the middle, We’re in a competitive industry so it is very important for me to stay current and ahead of the trends. My clients are looking for fresh and new creative ideas and it is my goal to provide those deliverables. I regularly attend educational conferences and workshops which are not limited to business development but also event design.
Where I am now, Being in the industry for 21 years, I want to make a more positive impact on our industry. In 2017, I founded the EmpoWEred Planners Society. Our mission is to provide a platform for creative professionals to come together and have real, honest conversations about the business and learn from industry pros while building impactful relationships. Through our online community, workshops and conferences we create an atmosphere of empoWErment and success. And we do it together!
3. What motivates you to continue being a part of this industry?
The people! In our industry I get the opportunity to meet so many amazing creative professionals from all over the world. Connecting with them, hearing their challenges and accomplishments motivates me to continue to work hard to build a successful business.
4. If you were starting your business today, what is one tip you would share with new planners/designers?
Always invest in industry education. Every year take time out to attend conferences and/or workshops which will help you perfect your craft and build new relationships.